Re: DECODE V/s CASE

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:46:59 GMT

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:51:43 -0800, pankaj_wolfhunter wrote:

> Greetings,
> Can someone please tell me the performance differece
> between DECODE and CASE?
> I have searched net for the same. One thing i am able to get is that
> CASE should be used instead of DECODE and it executes faster. but i am
> not able to find any particular doc stating the same.
> Can someone please let me know the performance difference between the
> two and if possible some doc or link stating the same.

I think there is no simple answer - it'll change based on your environment.

I encourage you pick up a copy of any of Tom Kyte's books - he provides tools and testing techniques for you to answer this on your own for your case. See http://apress.com and search for Kyte

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com