Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 15 Feb 2006 07:32:07 -0800

If I were you, I would take a long look at the new machines from sun specifically the T2000 ( or T1000 ). The T2000 is an 8 core on 1 chip machine that has 4 threads per core. ( This gives you out of the box what looks like 32 processors ).

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/rmc#welcome_to_the_cmt_era1

The oracle licensing for this is for 2 cpu's only. This might give you out of the box the scalability that you need for a while.

Many shops and places just cannot tolerate much if any downtime. RAC works very well in those situations. For reasonably sized database workload's that can fit into "one server" "at a reasonable cost ( whatever that means/varies by shop )" and can tolerate limited downtime ( whatever that means/ varies by shop ) .... well think about it.

How much downtime do you get in a year with a good server by hp, sun, etc?

As far as #2 goes, if your planning horizon is out 3 to 5 years in pushing the server capacity it looks like you know the answer already. Received on Wed Feb 15 2006 - 09:32:07 CST