Re: Free Oracle Server for intranet?

From: <shumaker_at_cs.fsu.edu>
Date: 14 Feb 2006 22:24:25 -0800

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very helpful!

I think I may even be able to continue to use my existing DTS packages if I modify the connections to point to the oracle server.

Since I have found that my Access Data Projects don't cooperate very well with SQL 2005, then Oracle is looking even more attractive. I'd have to use some sort of mediating drivers in either case anyways.

The 4gb limit shouldn't be a problem for our databases, and it is about the same as the limit that SQL 2005 Express has.

I'll take a more serious look at Oracle now that I know that there is a viable cost free solution.

> Wrong wording. The right wording would be: "our department did a great
> job and we are rewarded by not having to contend with MS Server 2000 any
> more. The damagement will finally buy us a real database."

LOL. Unfortunetly, the management is likely not going to buy us a database. Hence the reason why I'm researching what is available for free. I'll probably even have to have people from seperate shifts share a computer so that I can claim a desktop system as a server.

We were actually very satisfied with it, and could develop solutions rapidly. However, I do regret developing so much that is now tied to it now that I'm faced with weening things off of it and getting it working with Oracle or MS SQL 2005 Express.

I could probably put together a quote for server hardware+software and tell them there is no alternative, and when they say, well we'll have to do without it, then I can watch them try to go back to using Excel for their tasks, and they will soon miss the time that they could do a day's worth of work in a couple of hours. I'd probably be shooting myself in the foot though, as I'd be writing Excel Macros then... and that just isn't that fun. :)

BTW, I don't work at FSU as I think some may have thought, that's just where I am finishing my degree remotely. I work for SAIC.

Thanks again. Take care.