Re: Free Oracle Server for intranet?

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:08:22 -0800

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> The Oracle RDBMS that is available for free is Express Oracle.
> Express Oracle is a serious toy, but a toy nevertheless. It cannot
> exceed 4GB in size, which is far too small for any serious application.

You can actually do a lot of damage with 4 Gb of data. I think in this case it will fit the bill quite nicely. And if it isn't enough storage, then the option to upgrade to SE1 or SE is very attractive.

> Nothing else is free for a commercial environment. In addition to that,
> Oracle has something called "Oracle Standard Edition One", which doesn't
> include some advanced features (no partitioning, RAC, AQ) and which
> costs few hundred dollars, typically below $1000. You can also buy
> standard edition, license fee is $4500/CPU. Enterprise edition (EE) costs
> $10000/CPU.
You can check prices on store.orcle.com. Mladen has them a little (a lot) wrong

>>It would reside in an intranet environment on a single processor >>machine with about 2-10 people accessing it at a given time.

Look at named user pricing. It will be cheaper than CPU based pricing for 2-10 users. For both SE and SE1 the minimum named users licensable is 5.

>>  We would
>>also need some sort of replacement for our DTS packages.  I'm not sure
>>of what kind of equivalent feature is available on Oracle.  The DTS
>>packages basically import CSV files and run several queries in a row
>>before and after the CSV import, and perform some scripted
>>transformations when importing the data.

Use External tables and table functions. See the doc on OTN Received on Wed Feb 15 2006 - 00:08:22 CST