Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:26:54 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

>> It allows us to extend SQL Server infinitely using CLR - User Definied
>> Functions, Types, Stored Procedures, Triggers etc... - its quite cool
>> to be honest, no doubt other vendors will catch up in future versions.

> OK, I'm slowly starting to get annoyed...

> Before talking about "other vendors" it helps to at least read up on them.

> What MS SQL Server achieves with CLR other vendors do with e.g. Java.
> A data type foreign to SQL is, btw, often called a "black box ADT"
> supported by IDS and Oracle for years and it's not really all that magic
> because it's a black box (which is what Mark T. was gearing towards with
> his earlier questions I believe).
> I understand that it must be really exciting to finally break out of
> T-SQL, but others weren't stuck there to begin with

Halleliuh Brother. Putting all your eggs in one basket is about as bad a trying to teach other people to suck them. I guess we will have to wait for JSharp before Java (and other wonderful technology) gets discovered by the "Most intelligent customers realize ...." crowd. Received on Tue Feb 14 2006 - 21:26:54 CST