Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 14 Feb 2006 12:01:24 -0800

Tony Rogerson wrote:
> CLR :: Common Language Runtime.
>
> In a nutshell it allows you to write code in any langauge that supports the
> Common Language Specificiation in .NET (there are a lot now and not just MS
> grown ones).
>
> Now its integrated into SQL Server we can write stuff that T-SQL doesn't do
> very well like string manipulation, complex mathematics, point data types,
> objects etc... in a .NET language and then run them in SQL Server using the
> CLR environment.
>
> It allows us to extend SQL Server infinitely using CLR - User Definied
> Functions, Types, Stored Procedures, Triggers etc... - its quite cool to be
> honest, no doubt other vendors will catch up in future versions.

Thanks for that explanation.

Is this the stuff that was supposed to be out several years ago?

Granted there's a clear danger in providing developers enough ammunition to shoot their toes off. Without careful and deliberate separation of functionality into "what the database does well" versus application development considerations chaos can follow.

What works well in a limited usage environment can be totally unscalable. I think we have all seen enough of that from the client server application history and the java age can be similarly challenging.

How did all this about CLR relate to the questions posed by the OP? Received on Tue Feb 14 2006 - 14:01:24 CST