less than, index and string

From: tmp123 <tmp123_at_menta.net>
Date: 14 Feb 2006 02:44:22 -0800

Hello,

First of all, sorry if this question is off-topic in this group. In this case, I will welcome a sugestion about the correct one.

I'm starting with oracle, and I've a very basic doubt. Could someone sugest me an actiion line, or a reference to read, ... . Thanks.

Question:

I'm thinking on define a table with 3 columns. The first two are an array of 10 digits (10 numbers from '0' to '9'. It could be taken as an ASCII string). The last one is a NUMBER. I will call them CMIN, CMAX and CRES. It is a fact that CMIN<=CMAX and that ranges [CMIN,CMAX] never overlap.
The "input/key" of the query is another 10 digits value (X). The objective of the query is to select the one with CMIN>=X AND CMAX<=X, to known the value of CRES.

My doubt is: which definition of an index for the table is the better one?. One using only CMIN? Combine CMIN and CMAX?

Thanks a lot for your time. Received on Tue Feb 14 2006 - 04:44:22 CST