Re: ORACLE on Linux - IO bottleneck

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 13 Feb 2006 15:06:34 -0800

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> Definitely a good article. I was surprised about the large drop
> in the max response time when going from 4K --> 8K:

Me too. Probably some measurement noise?

> Throughput was larger with the 4K block. Strange.
> --

Not really. The file system is 4K, the db block is 4K: you get optimal IO for the conditions. With a larger db block size than fs block size you get a slight drop in throughput. This is more visible and consistent in kernel 2.4 with the io elevators: they are nowhere as efficient as the cfq scheduler in 2.6. Received on Mon Feb 13 2006 - 17:06:34 CST