updating clients when migrating from Oracle names to Internet Directory (LDAP)

From: Glen <stromqueat_at_teldotnet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:11:49 GMT

I am ready to shut down my 2 names servers and move to Internet Directory, I have installed the OID on a 9.2.0.6 database and have it up and running, created all the neccesary entries by migrating a tnsnames file and tested from my workstation after running net configuration assistant. Now I want to roll out client configuration files to my 400+ clients.

Any doc's I can find on OTN on this more or less say the clients need to be configured individually with net assistant etc. and one can use Oracle Names Proxy if there is a large number of clients to migrate to ease the task. I don't really want to do this, and I am thinking that since we already roll out sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files to clients, I just need to roll out modified sqlnet.ora files that have the NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (LDAP, TNSNAMES) line in it as well as the LDAP.ORA file created when I ran the net configuration assistant on my local machine to test it.

Interstingly enough, on another test workstation I tried to run the net configuration assistant to configure the workstation to use OID, but it failed, even though I pointed to the correct OID server with proper credentials etc. When I replaced the sqlnet.ora file with a copy from my workstation and added the ldap.ora file, I could connect fine via OID.

For any of you out there that have done this, how did you migrate the clients to use OID? Is there any flaws in my idea on just rolling out new sqlnet.ora and adding ldap.ora files to all the clients?

TIA Received on Mon Feb 13 2006 - 10:11:49 CST