Re: Generic schema design

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2006 08:01:00 -0800

As a general rule generic tables do not perform well and do not scale. However, if the concurrent user load is light and the total amount of data is relatively small the application performance may well prove acceptable.

Querying the data is going to be interesting. If I was forced into doing choice 1 or 2 I would go with choice 1. Potentially views could be created to taget and flip the target rows into columns.

In truth I think building a generic table with N number of varchar2 and numeric columns and creating a second table (dictionary) that defined the columns and allowed identification of the target rows by the application would be more workable.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Feb 13 2006 - 10:01:00 CST