What does EXCHANGE PARTITION WITH TABLE really do underground ?

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2006 05:59:18 -0800

Hi,
We have a 8i DB containing a few ridiculously *huge* tables ("ridiculously"
because they never were partitioned) that we plan to convert into partitioned
ones.
To me the easiest -and quickest ?- way of proceeding would be to create

an empty table with 11 partitions and to exchange our big tables data with
them. But everything's got to stay online, everything must happen during the
usual hours of activity of the applications, and we have for example a table
with 180 million records that's supposed to be splitted into a more or less
11-partition table.
Is this way of proceeding going to allow us not to impact the applications too
much ? (it's a table incurring lots of DML statements all the time, 24 hours
per day)
Does a real physical move of data happen here ? If yes I'm afraid we can't
afford this conversion... And of course we're dealing with an 8i DB.

Thanks, and regards. Received on Mon Feb 13 2006 - 07:59:18 CST