Oracle Replication

From: Locusta <locusta74ster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2006 00:13:32 -0800

Hello,

We are using Oracle database for our entreprise application. Although I was in favour for purchasing 2 servers and replication of the database though SQL.NET, the guys from infrastructure thought they were smarter and configured the system as a cluster, inclusive an expensive disk array.

Having the cluster, I only have one set of services, one database instance and so on. In the case Oracle crashes (yes, last week a mouron from infrastructure tested the backup in the middle of the day so one of the data files needed to be rebuild from redo logs) I cannot switch to another server (e.g. change the IP address from backup server to production) to continue production.

My question now is can I install 2 oracle instances let's say on disk U:\Data and F:\Data, duplicate my services and do replication on one server installed as cluster? Is there any good reference material that describes a scenario like this?

Looking forward to your reply,
Dirk Received on Mon Feb 13 2006 - 02:13:32 CST