Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:34:53 -0000

Just for fun I will comment...

> Enough said. Sqlserver will *never* be a scalabale product as all
> versions of Windows are non-scalable O/S-es
> And when will Sqlserver stop having readers block writers?

In the current release you can have all the standard transaction isolations and that includes writers blocking readers - funnily enough I did a webcast demonstrating and explaining the feature 2 weeks ago.

> When will Sqlserver run on a real O/S?

It does.

> So when will Sqlserver stop forcing customers to a Microsoft
> *lock-in*?

Be realistic - other vendors do the same, just take Oracle and its poor implementation of the ANSI SQL standard.

> Oracle on the contrary runs on almost any platform, including the
> least-scalable of them all: Microsoft Windows.

Can you back that up with statistics? - no, I didn't think so.

> Why do you think so many vendors run their Mickeysoft code on Oracle?

I don't know - enlighten me.

> Just for your recollection:
> When did Digital Equipment Corporation launch their first 32-bit O/S?
> In 1979!
> When did Microsoft launch an -albeit crippled, because still for more
> than 50 percent running on 16-bit DLLs- 32-bit O/S? In *1995*!!!

Bit of a price and availability differential. I remember programming a DEC at school - there was just one in the whole school, and that was at a time when Sinclair was launching his ZX 81's. My point, hardware and OS where available but at massive cost, Microsoft simply do what they do best - they opened up the market and made prices fall - so we can all now use computers instead of those companies with enough dosh to buy the kit.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP