Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:28:43 -0000

> Can you then build an index on a column using the regex, gather stats for
> it, and then have the optimiser consider this index in it's costing
> calculation ?

So long as its deterministic - yes.

> Can you change a database concurrency model via CLR ?

Yes

> Can you have the database change the way it physicall stores data and
> generates incremental backups via CLR ?

You have User Definied Types which are serialised, so you can create whatever objects you want as a UDT in CLR, a good example would be a temporal object.

> Can you have a database support active/active clustering via CLR ?
>
> Can you have a database run on Linux or any other operating system via CLR
> ?

The last two brings to think you don't actually know what CLR and .NET actually are, you can CLR in a database that is clustered - not a problem.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP