Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:53:49 GMT

Tony Rogerson wrote:

>>Well -  Oracle also supports CLR in the database as well. However the
>>ability to extend a database with stored procedures etc written in CLR,
>>Java or even a database's own data processing language does not equate to
>>the ability to add new features to the database.

> In SQL Server its in-process so performs better, in Oracle and DB2 its out
> of process and they both have their limitations.

I am curious about the in-process aspect - is that akin to loading device drivers in ring 0? What are the memory protection aspects of the various offerings?

> In SQL Server you can write, User Definied - Types, Functions, Aggregates,
> Stored Procedures, Triggers within CLR, so its not just stored procedures;
> so, yes - you can add new features to the database; if I want to write a
> regurlar expression function that can be used anywhere within SQL Server I
> can write it in CLR and call it anywhere I can use a built-in system
> function.

IMO in the CLR option vendors are moving from providing a developer from having a shotgun to blow their left foot off to providing a 155mm howitzer! Of course we are all responsible adults here so there is no risk of it ever happening - yeah right!

Cheers, Frank. Received on Sat Feb 11 2006 - 17:53:49 CST