Re: Oracle Install - WTF?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 10 Feb 2006 09:38:22 -0800

Comments embedded.
ExecMan wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> This thing is very frustrating! If Oracle is going to invent an
> installer, it should work!

It does. Very nicely.

> We ran the installer, and, we selected that it should also upgrade the
> database. Now, the install instructions say that the Net Configuation
> should run before the Database Upgrade Program.

And you ran the installer on WHICH operating system and version?

> Well, the install program fails once the software is installed. It
> does not install the Net Configuration for us. So, why select to
> upgrade the database if the installer will fail? If I am missing
> something, please let me know.

How can we let you know anything with the lack of information in your post? We haven't a crystal ball, nor a functioning Ouija board, and mind reading ability is not a pre-requisite. So, post sufficient information for someone to actually HELP you.

> Also, it says to reference a file called:
> /ora2/app/oracle/product/10g/cfgtoollogs/configToolFailedCommands to
> see all the failed commands. This file does not exist.
>
> It does not give any pointers on how to run the Net Configuration, or
> how to get past this issue.

You honestly believe that telling us nothing of your configuration gets you usable assistance? All that you have said to us is, "Hi, I have a problem. How do I fix it?" Without knowing your operating system and version, which Oracle version you're using and what O/S kernel patches have been applied we have absolutely NO way of helping you 'fix' whatever may be wrong with your system. "I tried to shoot a doughnut hole in the knee but the pig stole my screwdriver. Will a Volvo work instead?" This makes as much sense as what you've written, to be honest. Provide the necessary details or sit in anguish over a failed installation. Or, as Daniel as said, hire a consultant to do this for you, paying him or her extra so you can sit, quietly, watch and learn.

> Any smarter people out there than us?

Don't make me answer that one.

> Thanks Everyone!

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Feb 10 2006 - 11:38:22 CST