Re: ORACLE on Linux - IO bottleneck

From: Eder San Millan <edersm_at_wanadoo.es>
Date: 10 Feb 2006 01:50:29 -0800

Hello,

> > So, could we say that RawDevices in 2.4 kernels are not recomended or
> > this is supposing too much. We will upgrade to 2.6 kernel but this
> > suppose us many problems that must solve with a lot of time and this
> > other problem is being done in a productive system and....well...you
> > know ...
>
> ****Test on filesystem before going with 2.6.****
> Check if there are performance differences.
> I used rawdevices on top of LVM on a RAC 9i for a couple of years with
> good performance (and it was an oooold SLES7).

Yes, weīll change to FS but I didnīt want to do it but as last solution.... letīs say ..... errrr.... I see it as the "easiest" solution .... and I wanted to find the real problem with raws .... maybe Iīm a bit obstinate

> Personally I don't know the --getbsz. I cannot find it in the man pages
> on the web.
> Tomorrow, from office, I'm goign to check the sources of blockdev.
> I see there is even setbsz. Have yuo tried changing it?

No!, I havenīt!. "getbsz" says you the blocksize of the device, the same value with "blockdev" command as with "duimpe2fs" one (thanks Noons)

> Yes, it makes a lot of different (sorry, I didn't ask you if you were
> using LVM).
> On LVM1, lvcreate can specify the readahead value and the "contiguity"
> (plus tons of other parameters).
>
> I believe now it is time for benchmarking. :)
>
> Maybe tomorrow I can give you more information.

Ohh, I didnīt want you to waste any time ... in any case, tanks a lot ... Received on Fri Feb 10 2006 - 03:50:29 CST