Re: one for the SQL experts - dare I say TRICKY SQL!

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 9 Feb 2006 19:15:39 -0800

>>Standard to which DBMS? <<

Unh? That senternce makes no sense in the database world. ANSI/ISO Standards apply to all vendor products. The product either meets or fails them. Vendors do not set their own privates Standards (note the capital S).

>> Certainly not Oracle. <<

Oracle is still a nightmare of non-conformance to ANSI/ISO, X/Open, etc Standards, as well as expensive and hard to use. It is a kind of "Hillbilly dialect" of SQL :)

>> I will submit passing date strings without a proper format specifier is poor coding: <<

Did you know that SQL has one and only one allowed date format? Apparently not. It is based on ISO-8601, a Standard used in many other ISO standards.

"Caesar: Pardon him, Theodotus. He is a barbarian and thinks the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature." - Caesar and Cleopatra; George Bernard Shaw 1898 Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 21:15:39 CST