Re: Oracle 9i PGA Memory

From: ianal Vista <ianal_vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 02:56:18 GMT

"Michael42" <melliott42_at_yahoo.com> wrote in news:1139526409.150874.5000 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

>>>  Define "appropriate" based upon which metric(s).

> How can I determine if my PGA and\or connection related spfile settings
> are effective or need to be changed?
>
> This alludes to:
> 1. What needs to be monitored?
> 2. What types of values would warrant a change?
>
> I do not know.
>
> Thanks for your advice,
>
> Michael42

No single metric is any where close to being a decent indicator of overall database performance.

In many/most cases the biggest bang for the buck WRT performance tuning comes from identifying the poorset running SQL statements & tuning them.

You might consider getting this book, if are serious about Oracle tuning.

Optimizing Oracle Performance

Cary Millsap, Jeff Holt
O'Reilly & Associates, Paperback, Published September 2003, 388 pages, ISBN 059600527X Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 20:56:18 CST