Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 9 Feb 2006 16:21:00 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> >That's "bits", not "Bytes"!
>
> >In bytes, that's around 3.333 MB/s.
>
> So that's an average of 2TB/week. Do you really defend what Tony said:
> Windows/pair of SATA drives can do that?

Of course not. They can cope with the data capture volumes. The OP said nothing about retention periods nor can anyone extrapolate how long they will be.

If the OP wants to keep that volume of data online for a relatively long period of time, then partitioning and some form of pruning will be required.

The same applies to any database or hardware you'd care to mention. I'd love to see how a memory-only db architecture would cope with 2TB/week non-stop without any purges. Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 18:21:00 CST