Re: ORACLE on Linux - IO bottleneck

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:19:57 GMT

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:35:14 -0800, Wyvern wrote:

> I´ve not understood very well the IO Scheduler function but I´ll read
> more about it ...

There isn't much to understand: process scheduler decides which process to execute first, I/O scheduler decides which one, among the several simultaneous I/O requests to the same device, should be fulfilled first. The need for scheduling arises only if you have multiple simultaneous requests for the same device most of the time, in which case you have a problem, with or without the scheduler. I addition to that, most of the smart SCSI controllers have their own schedulers. The effects of I/O scheduler are much overrated.

--
http://www.mgogala.com