Re: os users, sessions, and connections.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2006 14:29:26 -0800

DaLoverhino wrote:
> I've been reading about the difference between connections and sessions
> on Kyte's site and this group. It's a bit rough for me, so I got a few
> questions. I'm also having a hard time figuring out how it could be
> applied to auditing when the OS user uses an app to do database work,
> and the app may have 'connection pooling'.
>
> Here's a few items:
>
> 1. From what I've read a session is a logged connection. Does that mean
> there's no such thing as a connectionless session?

>From the point of view of the database, yes. From the point of view of
another tier, no. So if you have middleware, browser based apps or an app server, it can be tough.

> 2. Can you have one connection to multiple sessions?

No. But it may appear that way to apps. For example, I have an app that makes two to four connections to the db, each is its own session. If it were using shared server, there could be some real problems with different waits for different queues.

> 3. If an application has (for example) one connection to the database
> but has two users using the app to do DB work, what does the app do?
> Assume that each user is doing his work as if simultaneously (not
> taking turns to make changes.) Does the program open up two sessions
> and switch between the two?

Yes for some middleware, no for the database. The database will have a separate environment for each session, you can get that with a programmatic call. Shared server configurations keep the environments separate, getting each requiest from a queue, executing it, then placing the results on another queue.

> 4. If only one user is used by the app to do the db changes of many OS
> users, how would I know which OS user did what?

Varies based on app. Describe V$SESSION and query during your app, often there is interesting information in MACHINE, PROGRAM or TERMINAL.

> Plus, if you have a book you know that really points this stuff out,
> that would be great too.

Since all of my experience with MTS has been throwing it out for performance reasons, I use an old OCP book or some book I got in a class to remember it if I need to. Sometimes even the docs at tahiti.oracle.com. Try searching on CMAN and check out adminstrators guides.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.sdnhm.org/education/brochure/adults.html#aphr