Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:18:54 -0000

Hi,

Its more getting the hardware sorted than the database, you need gear capable of writing to disk at that speed and more, and with todays hardware that isn't a problem.

Even a pair of mirrored SATA disks on Windows 2003 Server will write at around 50MBytes / second.

Once you have your hardware set, personally i'd be looking at something with a couple of GB of RAM (nice big cache) and a couple of mirrored SCSI 15Krpm disks for a dedicated transaction log and a set of 4 disks scsi 15Krpm disks in a RAID 10 array.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 is another option, workground edition which is all you'll need for that is around £2K per physical CPU if you have a lot of users or just go for CAL version which is cheaper.

You can use the new committed snapshot isolation so that writers aren't blocking readers so you won't have a contention problem.

Check out http://microsoft.com/sql for more information.

What sort of DR / high availability do you want on it? Clustering? Database mirroring??

Tony.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP