Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Jags <jagsr123_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2006 09:53:06 -0800

uspensky_at_gmail.com wrote:
> We have a need for some sort of database package that can handle the
> following specs:
>
> Average data rate - 30 megabits/sec.
> Max # inserts - 40,000 records/sec.
>
> What sort of database or store could handle this load? I'm looking to
> price out a repository, basically capturing the best bid/ask and last
> information from all 6 option exchanges, and then have a retrieval
> application query this data in a timely fashion.
>
> suggestions (with links to benchmarks/info) are much appreciated
>
> thanks much

You probably have to go with some main-memory data management solution to achieve this high rate. GemStone provides a very high speed main memory based distributed data management platform that is specifically geared to meets the extreme performance requirements in capital markets.
Take a look at this white paper ->
http://www.gemstone.com/pdf/GemFireEnterprise_Technicalwhitepaper.pdf

Here you would find the concepts described along with a use case that describes the use of the technology in a program trading environment. The following link provides more information on the applicability of the technology in several areas in capital markets... http://www.gemstone.com/solutions/capital.php

Best regards,
-- Jags Ramnarayan
(jramnara_at_gemstone.com) Received on Tue Feb 07 2006 - 11:53:06 CST