Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:46:37 +0100

uspensky_at_gmail.com schrieb:
> We have a need for some sort of database package that can handle the
> following specs:
>
> Average data rate - 30 megabits/sec.
> Max # inserts - 40,000 records/sec.
>
> What sort of database or store could handle this load? I'm looking to
> price out a repository, basically capturing the best bid/ask and last
> information from all 6 option exchanges, and then have a retrieval
> application query this data in a timely fashion.
>
> suggestions (with links to benchmarks/info) are much appreciated
Have you looked at Oracle TimesTen?
This is a in memory database that can also be coupled to a standard oracle database. The division of labour typically goes like, TimesTen does the data reception and event handling (and can do processing too) and then bulk transfers it to the oracle server, in case you have need to store the data.

Other than that, Oracle Real Application clusters can probably take quite a bit of load.

But, really, what kind of hardware are you talking about? You sure can't do that on a standard PC or workstation.

Btw, I'm not recommending oracle because I get paid by them but because I run a small oracle db in my company and that's the only database system I know, apart from mysql.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Tue Feb 07 2006 - 10:46:37 CST