Re: Run Unix command

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:39:11 -0000

In article <pan.2006.01.26.13.03.14.28753_at_sbcglobal.net>, Mladen Gogala says...
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 04:30:52 -0800, johnleslie wrote:
>
> > How can I run a unix command from a oracle 9i stored procedure?
>
> Why would you want to do that? There are several ways, one or two
> were described in Tom Kyte's book (101), there was an external procedure
> on Metalink, extproc_perl, Oracle 10g has DBMS_SCHEDULER package capable
> of doing so, but the question still remains: why?

I don't know the OP's needs but am wondering why you should consider it to be such an issue "why" he would want to run a unix command from inside the database? Perhaps he would like to copy some files or get a directory listing. Or maybe something complicated. In either case, I gather from your implied tone, that it is not a practice you are in favour of?

--

jeremy