os users, sessions, and connections.

From: DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2006 17:02:55 -0800

I've been reading about the difference between connections and sessions on Kyte's site and this group. It's a bit rough for me, so I got a few questions. I'm also having a hard time figuring out how it could be applied to auditing when the OS user uses an app to do database work, and the app may have 'connection pooling'.

Here's a few items:

  1. From what I've read a session is a logged connection. Does that mean there's no such thing as a connectionless session?
  2. Can you have one connection to multiple sessions?
  3. If an application has (for example) one connection to the database but has two users using the app to do DB work, what does the app do? Assume that each user is doing his work as if simultaneously (not taking turns to make changes.) Does the program open up two sessions and switch between the two?
  4. If only one user is used by the app to do the db changes of many OS users, how would I know which OS user did what?

Plus, if you have a book you know that really points this stuff out, that would be great too.

thanks. Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 19:02:55 CST