Re: Security hole in Oracle?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:50:10 +0100

On 6 Feb 2006 10:09:25 -0800, dmitryn_at_genesyslab.com wrote:

>Thanks for replying!
>
>Do you mean that 9.2.0.7 may have some bugs fixed that are not fixed
>yet in 10g? (sorry if this sounds as a stupid question, I really don't
>know the timeline of Oracle releases).

Oracle tends to provide more patch releases when a release is getting older. Ie when you have a .1 release it will take quite a while when a subsequent release comes out, and that probably addresses a bunch of bugs. In subsequent releases less bugs are surfacing, so they don't delay release. So, yes: theoretically it would be possible 9.2.0.7 is released before 10g x is released. Also someone could have requested a backport of a 10g fix to 9i. The 9i version may be indeed released sooner.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA