Re: Upgrade Question

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 6 Feb 2006 10:23:26 -0800

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> When upgrading from Oracle 9i to 10g, is it recommended to keep the
> same Oracle Home, or, does the ./runInstaller take care of everything
> for you?

Planning needs to be done by you. The runInstaller can do a lot of things, but not that area.

> We do not want to run two different versions of Oracle.......but I need
> to know what to do with the old 9i software?

You will want to the the 10g install into a different oracle home.

Once your migration has been tested, backed up, certified, and signed off, at some point down the road you may want to delete the 9i software.

It's not something that you want to do until you are well past the point of the 10g database running well. Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 12:23:26 CST