Re: Oracle install for access over LAN...

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2006 05:39:10 -0800

JCM wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I am installing Oracle 10g on a Windows XP that will be my database
> server - not as a local instance but so I can access the database from
> my development machine over the LAN. I am not using a DNS for the LAN,
> but simply assigning addresses in the host files of each machine on the
> network. What "out-of-the-ordinary" steps do I have to take to
> accomplish this, and what would the Global Database Name be? Any help
> appreciated. Thanks.

As I understand what you're doing, you don't need to do anything "out of the ordinary". Global database name is still whatever you want. Listener, tnsnames, all the same. The only "difference" here is that you're getting your server-name to ip address resolution by way of your local hosts file instead of DNS. No big deal there, that I can see. Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 07:39:10 CST