Re: Moving from 8173 to 10gR2

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 06 Feb 2006 08:19:29 GMT

Michael Ray <Ihatespam_at_indy.net> wrote:
> I will be upgrading an 8i database to 10gR2 soon. The documentation says
> you must be at 8.1.7.4 to directly upgrade to 10gR2, but I'm planning an
> export/import, which should eliminate that requirement. I see they don't
> "officially" support even that, but it seems that they just want you to be
> at the terminal release. Anything I should be concerned with about the
> standard procedure outlined in Ch 8 (and then Ch 4) of the 10.2 Database
> Upgrade Guide? We've been running some tests and everything seems to be
> fine.

Export/Import is a fine way to upgrade from 8 to 10, and it is the method that we (City of Vienna with dozens of Oracle databases) have used so far.

If you plan to change to Unicode you should not forget that by default, character columns use 'byte semantics', which means that a 10 character string might suddenly not fit into a 10 character column.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 02:19:29 CST