Re: Cannot connect to database

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:49:50 +0100

Ikke wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've just installed Oracle XE on my machine, and while I can connect to
> the database with sqlplus, I cannot seem to tnsping the database or
> connect to it via code (Java).
>
> On this machine, I am also running a free copy of ZoneLab ZoneAlarm -
> which is causing the problem imho.
>
> When I shutdown ZoneAlarm completely, I can connect to the database in
> every way possible, but once I start ZoneAlarm again, I am unable to
> connect to the database like before.
>
> ZoneAlarm is configured to let all Oracle-related programs access the
> local network AND act as a server on said network. Internet connections
> and server rights are revoked.
>
> Does anyone recognize this problem or know of a way to solve it? I'm
> behind a firewall at home, so I could shutdown ZoneAlarm, but that is not
> an option imho.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ikke

Very Old ZoneAlarm here (V2.something...), no problems. Added subnets (which you don't mention), amongst which my own private subnet (192.168...).
And Oracle does have services, of course, so you'll need to allow them (and have the firewall block these for incoming requests)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...