Re: Oracle 10g New Features Info

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 00:47:34 GMT

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:26:18 -0800, amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

> Actually, I think I want to see the discontinued 9i features
> first.......is that on the CD set also?
>
> (Got to get the CD's from OPS).

This one is a bit trickier. Fortunately, anyone who has been paying attention for the past several versions knows what things have been on the verge of being deprecated and should have been prepared.

I can not think of anything introduced in 9i that disappears in 10g.

Other stuff has been on the 'you have been warned' list for a while - such as 'Rule Based Optimizer' which is [effectively] gone ... and we've been warned about that since 7.0.16-beta (1991).

My suggestion:

  1. Start with the New Features document as previously mentioned.

Reading between the lines becomes important - you will get a feeling for the new way of doing things and then need to find out if the old way is still valid. Nothing [I know of] has been taken away without providing a replacement, and the replacement will generally be called a new feature. A good example - DBMS_JOBS is still there, but DBMS_SCHEDULE is a far superior? replacement;

2) Go to the online docs and do a search for the keyword 'deprecated'. Chase the list - note that we have MANY deprecated parameters, as identified in the Reference manual, and that will give huge clues to the changes;

3) Review the Upgrade document. It gives ideas on preparation;

4) Test.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com