Re: Oracle 10g RAC w/Different Time zones

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 3 Feb 2006 12:40:22 -0800

rodrick.brown_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to consolidate all these instances on a Oracle 10g RAC
> enviornment.

While the grid and oracle rac might conceptually be a good match for your environment, many or at least some home grown applications do not scale particularly well in a rac environment.

How well do your current applications scale in a 2 node RAC cluster, a 4 node RAC cluster, etc?

Consolidating database instances involves planning and testing that need involvement with your oracle dba team from the beginning.

I am not sure of your background in oracle but it sounds to me as if you are approaching this more from a systems administration viewpoint than a dba one. While there's nothing wrong with keeping a good handle on that perspective, to me at least, it sounds like you need to consider partnering up with that team in your organization.

You don't want to surprise people especially the dba team with a plan that has started rolling somehow. Guinness works well usually in preliminary discussions of this nature. Received on Fri Feb 03 2006 - 14:40:22 CST