Re: Users identified externally Problem with workgroup installation?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:24:41 +0000 (UTC)

"Lanying & Manfred" <manfis_at_t-online.de> wrote in message news:drvfsh$vus$03$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Hello,
>
> Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition (test) Win XP, all actual updates; PC is
> included in a workgroup, I don't have a domain structure!
> I want to test Oracle functions!
>
> External User
> --------------
>
> CREATE USER ops$susi IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY;
> GRANT CONNECT; RESOURCE TO OPS$SUSI;
> (statements without error)
>
> In the start up parameter-file OPS$ is default. Checked SELECT * FROM
> V$PARAMETER;
>
> I've created a Windows account susi with password protection before.
>
> Switching to account susi and entering
>
> sqlplus /
>
> in DOS, I can't connect myself. I will be prompted to enter an user name
> and a password.
> Same situation when entering this in DOS:
>
> sqlplus /@xyz.
>
> Entering sqlplus scott/tiger in DOS, no problems...
>
> Question:
> ----------------------
>
> is this fudge worling when having a domain structure?
>
> Please help me safe the weekend in good mood!
>
> ManFis

To investigate - connect using a password, then do a select from v$session checking to see what the OSUER column is for your USERNAME.

You may find that you have to have something like:

    machine\user
as the account name (with the 'ops$' prefix, of course, which you can modify if you want by changing the parameter os_authent_prefix

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 10th Jan 2006