Re: Command to free unused space in a data file

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 2 Feb 2006 21:32:55 -0800

Edwinah63 wrote:

> do I risk sizing the datafile below the minimum amount necessary for my
> tablespace and losing my data?

Of course not! It will error off and not do anything.

> if so, where can I check what the minimum for a particular tablespace
> should be before I merrily resize my datafiles - since I'm only
> interested in freeing unused blocks back to the os.

You really should have a look at the manuals: Concepts, SQL Reference, Administration and Reference. Subscription to Oracle Technology Network is free and they never spam you and you get access to all manuals. Worth it.

It's the DBA_FREE_SPACE view, accessible to user SYSTEM: tells you how much free space there is per datafile per tablespace.

> Otherwise, does Oracle throw and error if I try to make the datafiles
> too small?

Yes. Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 23:32:55 CST