Re: Oracle IO tuning tips/practices on Windows

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2006 19:43:09 -0800

NetComrade wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2006 07:21:42 -0800, yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >I think you meant allocation unit or cluster size, not sector size.
> >It's the number you provide for format /a: switch. A sector size can
> >only be changed by the hard drive maker. I'm not sure if bigger sector
> >size hard drives are commercially available.
>
> Any idea how to get to that info?
>
> thanks.
> We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
> remove NSPAM to email

If you're on Windows XP or 2003, you have fsutil:

C:\>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

Bytes Per Sector  :               512
Bytes Per Cluster :               4096

On all versions, you use chkdsk:

C:\>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

      4096 bytes in each allocation unit. ...

Chkdsk doesn't tell you sector size but that's almost never different from 512 bytes.

I'm sure there're non-Microsoft tools that can give this info.

Yong Huang Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 21:43:09 CST