Re: General Purpose or Data Warehouse?

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:18:20 +1100

g_chime_at_yahoo.com says...

> In the Database Configuration Assistant (Step 2) there are 4 choices:
> Custom, Data Warehouse, General Purpose and Transaction Processing.
>
> I have lots of data, large tables hundreds of columns many millions of
> rows. I add data on a regular bases, almost never update or delete.
>
> I have to perform user created large and complicated queries.
> Some result sets can be as large as 10 GB. (That's what the customer
> wants.)
>
> I think what I have is a Data Warehouse but I'm not sure.

The size of your database has no direct bearing on whether you would consider it to be a candidate for the data warehouse option. Data warehouses use star schema dimensional modelling as opposed to the standard entity-relationship model.

Read up on the concepts. Bert Scalzo - Oracle DBA Guide to Data Warehousing and Star Schemas - spends the whole first chapter of his book explaining what a data warehouse *isn't*, including a great analysis "Data Warehouse vs. Big Database".

Geoff M Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 16:18:20 CST