General Purpose or Data Warehouse?

From: <g_chime_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2006 09:36:27 -0800

I am new to databases and today is the first that I'm working with ORACLE. I am switching for MySQL to ORACLE and trying to decide which template to use for my DB.

In the Database Configuration Assistant (Step 2) there are 4 choices: Custom, Data Warehouse, General Purpose and Transaction Processing.

I have lots of data, large tables hundreds of columns many millions of rows. I add data on a regular bases, almost never update or delete.

I have to perform user created large and complicated queries. Some result sets can be as large as 10 GB. (That's what the customer wants.)

I think what I have is a Data Warehouse but I'm not sure.

If I choose Data Warehouse, would the maintenance, programming and query building a lot different or more complicated?

Thanks for your help. Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 11:36:27 CST