Command to free unused space in a data file

From: Edwinah63 <edwinah_at_customercare.com.au>
Date: 2 Feb 2006 01:22:52 -0800

Hi everyone,

in MS SQL Server we have a command DBCC SHRINKFILE ( myDB, truncateonly) which causes any unused space in the data files to be released to the operating system and shrinks the file to the last allocated extent, reducing the file size without moving any data.

does Oracle have anything similar?

if so, what is/are the command/s ?

also what commands can I use to defrag my database so I can get all my data into contiguous blocks? Or in this case do I just do the windows defrag? Or does Oracle manage this itself?

many thanks

Edwinah63 Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 03:22:52 CST