Re: UGA - session specific information

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1 Feb 2006 06:35:18 -0800

The current manuals are vague about this. In the past the information was more specific. I do not know if Oracle has changed some of the specifics or as the feature list has grown this is just some of the information deemed less important that was deleted to make room for other information.

But with dedicated sessions the UGA is part of the PGA and the sort area is in the UGA. With shared server, formerly called MTS, the UGA is moved into the large pool section of the shared pool and sorts are done from here.

The progam copy of packaged variables should be in the UGA since these values are session specific.

I do not think I would worry about this much as the Oracle trend has been to reduce the DBA's ability to configure any of the related spaces except at the aggregate level and the Performance and Tuning manual explains how to size the UGA when converting from dedicated to Shared Server.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Feb 01 2006 - 08:35:18 CST