Re: Oracle 10g on Sun T1000 server

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 1 Feb 2006 05:23:27 -0800

correiacarlos_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been approached by my employer to review possible hardware
> upgrades to our database. Due to the new licencing options available
> the sun route seems to be very favourable.

Join the club. A lot of people are starting to evaluate or think about evaluating this new platform.

The T2000 appears to be a potentially better pick than the T1000.

Check out and do some searching of the google solaris group there's some good info there.

Also check out this url:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/rmc#welcome_to_the_cmt_era1

> I do how ever have some questions the licencing stipulates that each
> core in the T1 processor is licenced at 25% of the cpu licence. Where
> the Xeon / Opteron is licenced at 50% per core.
>
> Why is this? It seems to suggest that the performance of say a dual
> core Xeon is equivalent to a 4 core T1.

If you haven't seen or checked out the announcement when sun released this new hardware you probably should. You can find the url for watching this on www.sun.com

Scott McNealy brings Charles Phillips on stage and talks about the licensing after a very extensive introduction to the new product.

> Please will some one help me shed some light on this issue.

I think it's probably better for you to do some research yourself and form your own opinions. Received on Wed Feb 01 2006 - 07:23:27 CST