Re: System Modes QUIESCE / SUSPEND

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:31:49 GMT

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:57:22 -0800, Daniel wrote:

> "The SUSPEND clause lets you suspend all I/O (datafile, control file,
> and file header) as well as queries, in all instances, enabling you to
> make copies of the database without having to handle ongoing
> transactions.".

His question signifies (the "begin/end backup" part) that he wants to copy database by splitting BCV's. With the suspend command, you don't need begi/end backup. You do the following: alter system checkpoint;
(wait until the checkpoint is done)
alter system suspend;

split 'em!

Alter system resume.

On the copied machine you can just restart the database and it be OK.

--
http://www.mgogala.com