Re: Using RAC for 25+ small to medium sized database

From: Jim Kennedy <jim>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:14:42 -0800

<englishguy2006_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138687299.261602.71240_at_g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> It's 25 different single instance databases that are currently on 25
> different servers. If these 25 (proof of concept) work out then there
> are many more that could follow. These are all legacy applications, a
> bit of everything so there's no opportunity to consolidate the
> databases without making major application changes. Wish there was but
> it's just not possible. Either way it seems to me that they will be
> overhead with VMware virtual servers, a database / server (what we have
> now) or with RAC. There's always the other option of just loading up a
> server with a few database instances and not using VMware but that
> makes it difficult for us to move a database from one server to
> another. With VMware and Vmotion I'm led to believe that moving a
> virtual server from one server to another is very easy.

Why does it make it difficult to move one instance from one machine to another? copy works pretty well. You can consolidate into multiple schemas, the applications don't need to know that it is sharing an instance. it can't tell. I think the problem is that you have already decided what solution you want.
Jim Received on Tue Jan 31 2006 - 05:14:42 CST