Re: Using RAC for 25+ small to medium sized database

From: <englishguy2006_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2006 19:25:38 -0800

The alternative would be to have 25 instances running on each server each with buffer cache, large pool, shared pool, java pool, redo buffers plus each of these instances would have up to 20 oracle processes and there would also be 25 different database caches talking to each other from one blade server to another. Finally there's additional licensing cost plus some possible changes when moving a non-RAC database to RAC, 5 sets of archive/redo logs, 5 alert log files / database. I think that makes for a lot of overhead which is why I'm thinking the non RAC idea of the virtual servers would be the way to go. I should also mention that high availability is important but not critical for these databases. Received on Mon Jan 30 2006 - 21:25:38 CST