Re: EM 10G Agents on Veritas Cluster

From: Fabrizio Magni <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:59:58 +0100

kay.malcolm_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I have EM10g installed on an RHL4 server. The installation ran fine
> and the agents now need to be placed on dev boxes for testing. Our
> dev/ua and production servers use Veritas Clusterware. Has anyone
> successfully deployed OMS on Linux and the agents in turn on servers
> using VCS? What happens during failover from one node to the other?
> There doesn't seem to be much information about installing/setting up
> agents on non Oracle Clusterware boxes.
>
> I am just wondering how the agents will discover instances before,
> during and after a failover. Please advise.

I have several installations on AIX with veritas.

On that configuration (active-passive and not RAC) I bind the 10g agent to the virtual address (and not the phisical ones). It switches with all the resources from one node to another so the rediscovery is not necessary.
I opted for an AGENT_HOME which switches with the agent to avoid the repository corruption due to incomplete xml uploads. Maybe a smarter solution is to switch only the AGENT_HOME/sysman/emd but I have never tested it.

On a failover cluster on linux (with lifekeeper) I prefer to keep to agent always active (one for every node). Of course the agent on the passive node see its resources always down so I placed it in blackout mode.

Of late I prefer the first configuration. The most challenging part of registering the agent into veritas was to write a start/stop script not too stupid.

Regards

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com