Re: location of installed oracle software?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 30 Jan 2006 10:34:21 -0800

jeffchirco_at_gmail.com wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, but my SA wants me to find out. We have
> an IBM AIX server which uses a separate D40 to store all of our data.
> Normally we install the Oracle software on the D40 along with all the
> data files and everything for Oracle. This way if there is a problem
> with the server, we can take the D40 out and plug it into another same
> type of server and should have no problems. My question is, is there
> any type of performance issue with having the Oracle software on the
> same location as the data files? Or should the software be installed
> on the servers boot drives?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Chirco

That's a pretty typical configuration you are working from Jeff.

Some people do have oracle software installed on local drives, but many people operate as you are doing, ( or have the software both on local and copied/mirrored on attached storage).

It's generally a matter of how much up front planning was done, the amount of space and protection level's available on local drives, and personal preferences in some cases.

As you noted, if you get "enough" of the software on attached storage, conceivably you might be able to unplug and re-attach to a different host. If that is important enough to your organization, certainly it could be a viable approach, but it should be documented and tested, and re-tested at times. Received on Mon Jan 30 2006 - 12:34:21 CST