Re: Fresher DBA!!!

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:05:24 -0600

On 2006-01-23, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Dibur wrote:
>> I am really lucky to be guided by such warm and amazing people like you
>> :) Well something i never thought was that i am only among the very few
>> who get a chance to be a DBA early in their career
>
> Simply put you are a very lucky person.
> Equally simply put without SQL you won't survive.

        You won't be able to understand how the developers are abusing your database without a good grasp of SQL. Learning anything that can help you trace what's going on in the database is a good thing. This includes things like tcpdump, dbg and strace/truss. It's good to know what your db engine is doing both at the top level (sql) and bottom (c).

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \

                http://www.usenet.com