Re: Error ORA-01034 on windows xp

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:52:35 GMT

My Discussion wrote:
> Hello,
> I am getting an error ORA-01034:Oracle not available in 10g,
>

> Please help me.
> I am new to oracle 10g.
> Also how to start new services.
> I cannot even connect to oracle sql* plus.
> The platform is windows and os is xp
>
> Thanx in advance

Is the Oracle instance running on the same machine as sqlplus? Did this ever work? Did anything change since it last worked? If sqlplus and the instance are on different machines, is the networking configuration set up correctly? Is the listener.ora file on the remote machine referencing the correct instance? There are lots of unanswered questions and unknown variables. Without knowing them it would be impossible to tell you what to do.

I am *guessing* that the Oracle instance and sqlplus are both on the same machine. If so then the first thing to check is that the instance is actually running. Check the service list and see if the Oracle services are running. If not, start them and try again. You don't really need the listener service up unless you have users trying to connect over a network.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"