Re: Error ORA-01034 on windows xp

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2006 06:28:20 -0800

My Discussion wrote:
> Hello,
> I am getting an error ORA-01034:Oracle not available in 10g,
>

> Please help me.
> I am new to oracle 10g.
> Also how to start new services.
> I cannot even connect to oracle sql* plus.
> The platform is windows and os is xp
>
> Thanx in advance

Hard to say. You've given us the Oracle version and the OS, but nothing else.

What do you mean you cannot "connect to oracle sql*plus"? SQL*Plus is just a tool. You don't 'connect' to it, you just 'start' it, just like you start any other program. Exactly what are you doing when you try to start it, and what feedback is it giving you?

You start the new services just like you start any other service in Windows. Go to the services applet in the Windows control panel and take a look.

My guess is you don't have the ORACLE_SID environment variable set in the environment in which you are trying to connect to the database.

Hmm. Have you even created a database? Installing Oracle is not the same as creating a database. Received on Mon Jan 30 2006 - 08:28:20 CST